WhyLALifeScience is a Virtual Bioscience Hub for the Los Angeles region that serves as the world’s “front door” to LA County’s bioscience industry. Here you can:
- Access real-time data, intelligence and news about the LA region’s bioscience industry
- Connect directly with industry leaders, entrepreneurs, government officials, job-seekers, and investors
- View an updated directory of regional events and opportunities to engage with like-minded industry leaders
- Examine a detailed landscape analysis of the industry that captures LA’s numerous bioscience assets and resources in a visual layout
- Search a database of LA’s most exciting bioscience companies at all stages of development, from preclinical- to commercial-stage, along with entrepreneurs changing the face of therapeutics, medical devices, and digital technology
- Find which education and talent development institutions are training our bioscience workforce of today and tomorrow.
WhyLALifeScience enables users to shrink LA County’s nearly 4,750 square miles down to the click of a button. It is free to access and open to everyone.
All regional stakeholders are urged to submit updated and/or additional information about their companies, activities, and events, which will be vetted and validated by the WhyLALifeScience support team. Content is updated regularly by a multidisciplinary team, which includes Biocom, Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation, the Center for a Competitive Workforce and the Office of City of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, to ensure the most up-to-date, accurate and useful information about LA’s growing presence, unique value proposition and distinct productive advantages in the global bioscience sector.
Meet the Team
Jasson Crockett is Manager of Economic Policy in the office of L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti. Jasson oversees the City’s Department of Cannabis Regulation and manages policy and business development in the life science and healthcare sectors, sports, and tax policy. Read Full Bio
Jessica Ku Kim
In her role as Senior Director of Workforce Development, Jessica Ku Kim provides strategic direction and leads collaborative efforts to strengthen the alignment of LA County’s workforce and education systems to industry workforce needs. Jessica has intimate knowledge of programs funded on state and national levels including WIA, WIOA, California State Workforce Development Board, U.S. Department of Labor, California Employment Training Panel, and the Utility Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO. Read Full Bio
Hanan Al-Hakim is Sr. Program Manager in Biocom’s L.A. office. Hanan is responsible for connecting Los Angeles-area life science companies, professionals and entrepreneurs through regional events, and delivering LA members best-in-class service. In addition, she helps highlight LA’s bustling life science industry through social media and marketing communications. She brings to Biocom a background in program management, account and partner relations, event planning, project management, and marketing analysis. Read Full Bio
- Company and Industry Stakeholder Map
- Countywide map plotting biotech/medtech companies, startups, incubator and lab facilities, R&D facilities, academic institutions, investors, and ancillary service providers (legal, accounting, etc).
- All entities will have the option to include contact person and information, as well as address
- News and events
- Open source platform for companies and industry stakeholders to share relevant updates with the broader ecosystem.
- Quality control will be managed by WhyLALifeScience to validate accuracy of all information posted.
- Talent & Workforce
- Job board
- Highlight applicable Los Angeles basin community college programs
- List all colleges and universities
- Data: # of degrees conveyed in key areas per year in the region
- Videos focusing on community college pathways to middle skilled jobs
- Information on working in and/or moving to L.A.
- Resources for workforce development and skills building programs